Tinubu honours Akintola, Buhari, Idiagbon, 12 others, renames airports after them
President Bola Tinubu has directed the Federal Airport Authority of Nigeria to rename some federal airports after some notable Nigerians.
This was contained in a memo directed to all Head of Operations of FAAN and titled, “Naming of Federal Airports in favour of some prominent Nigerians,” by the Federal Ministry of Aviation dated June 1, 2023.
The memo signed by the Director of Airport Operations, Mrs Joke Olatunji, was made available to Ogbomoso Insight Monday, read, “I am directed to refer a memo with reference number, FMA/T4464/7090/T7B/647 from FAAN on the naming of some federal airports after notable Nigerians.
The Ibadan Airport was renamed after late Premier of Western Region and Aare Ona Kakanfo of Yorubaland, Samuel Ladoke Akintola.
Port Harcourt Airport was renamed after late sage, Obafemi Jeremiah Awolowo while the Maiduguri Airport was renamed after the immediate past President Muhammadu Buhari.
Nasarawa Airport was given the new name Sheikh Usman Danfodio and Ilorin Airport was named after General Tunde Idiagbon.
Also, the Benin Airport was renamed after the late Oba of Benin, Oba Akenzua II and Ebonyi Airport after the late Senate President Chuba Okadigbo.
See the full list below:
1. Akure Airport – Olumuyiwa Bernard Aliu
2. Benin Airport – Oba Akenzua II
3. Dutse Airport – Muhammad Nuhu Sanusi
4. Ebonyi Airport – Chuba Wilberforce Okadigbo
5. Gombe Airport – Brigadier Zakari Maimalari
6. Ibadan Airport – Samuel Ladoke Akintola
7. Ilorin Airport – Gen. Tunde Idiagbon
8. Kaduna Airport – Hassan Usman Katsina
9. Maiduguri Airport – Gen. Mumammadu Buhari
10. Makurdi Airport – Joseph Sarwuan Tarka
11. Minna Airpor – Mallam Abubakar Imam
12. Nassarawa Airport – Sheikh Usman Dan Fodio
13. Osubi Airport – Alfred Diete Spiff
14. Port Harcourt Airport – Obafemi Jeremiah Awolowo
15. Yola Airport – Lamido Aliyu Mustapha